Saturday, March 14, 2020

A Poem in the Face of COVID-19


When Life Stops

My wife and I noticed it Tuesday,
Returning from Florida,
With the airport half empty.
A rolling tide, Broadway was shut down,
Then college sports and the NBA,
Then colleges. And orchestra performances.

The Philadelphia Orchestra played to an empty house.
My own Boston performances, canceled.
A friend I was to meet, his conference in town, canceled.
My grandchildren’s schools, closed.
My children are working from home or online.
And finally, churches closed.

We get notices from vendors
Stating what steps they are taking
To prevent community spread.
My weekly meeting with a student,
Usually at a coffee shop,
Will be done by walking outside.

At first, we thought what mattered
Is that we, ourselves, were healthy
And would surely survive any exposure.
But it seems we are all learning
That this isn’t about just me but all of us—
The whole world, actually.

I have flashbacks to another crisis,
The utter shock of September 11,
When we all remember where we were.
No planes in the skies afterwards,
Travel restricted, utter grief,
How could it be? We cried and hugged.

No hugging of neighbors now, let alone strangers.
Keep your social distance.
Sunday, I can tune in to any number of church services,
But online, no singing, no peace passing.
We are all at a standstill,
We are all the untouchables.

Fear not. I am with you, says Isaiah.
Be strong and courageous; do not be frightened or dismayed, says Joshua.
Do not worry about your life, says Jesus.
Let your gentleness be known to everyone, says Paul.
I will fear no evil, for thou art with me, says the Psalmist; and again,
Our help is in the name of the LORD, who made heaven and earth.

Scott L. Barton

No comments:

Post a Comment