Thursday, March 17, 2016

Maundy Thursday (C), March 24, 2016 - 1 Corinthians 11:23-26

Collenbrook United Church, Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania

In Remembrance of Me

Do this in remembrance of me, he said,
in breaking bread, and drinking cup;
We're good at saying this, this night,
perhaps with candles lighted up,
extinguished one by one; or feet
or hands by neighbor or pastor
washed, in mem'ry of the night
he did it too, though Master.
And yet, the funny thing,
that's easy to forget,
is this one word,
remembrance
of me - not
night, or
meal, or 
wash, or
threat -
but him!
And him
alone!
His life,
his way,
his face,
his fearless giving;
So he's the one, on whom
you now, your life might base.

Scott L. Barton
(With thanks to J. Barrie Shepherd, whose 1990 book of poems called, "The Moveable Feast" included some poems written in a shape, and which gave me the above idea.)

For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took a loaf of bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way he took the cup also, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.” For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment